WHO WE ARE
The Central Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils (CQROC) is the regional representative organisation for the local governments in the Central Queenslands region: Banana Shire, Central Highlands Regional, Gladstone Regional, Livingstone Shire, Rockhampton Regional and Woorabinda Aboriginal Shire Councils.
CQROC’s vision is to be recognised as the authoritative voice on the region’s policy and infrastructure priorities.
- Actively collaborate and agree on regional approaches to regionally significant issues and opportunities
- Progress/develop regional significant “game changing” initiatives.
Following the winding up of the Central Queensland Local Government Association in 2013, the need was recognised for a replacement vehicle to enable Central Queensland councils to work together to enhance the economic growth, social capacity and environmental sustainability of our region.
The CQROC held its first meeting in January 2014 and is a voluntary alliance between the collaborative councils. The CQLGA had featured four of the six CQROC members, with Isaac Regional Council since aligning with the Whitsunday Region of Councils. Livingstone Shire, created after de-amalgamation with Rockhampton Regional Council, and Woorabinda Aboriginal Shire councils have now linked with CQROC.
In order to achieve its goal CQROC seeks to:
- Support and advance the local interest of its members and their constituencies in a regional context;
- Increase investment by State and Federal governments in infrastructure and services benefitting member council areas;
- Foster cooperation among members on issues of mutual concern or to further joint interests;
- Act as an advocate to State and Federal governments or public bodies on issues of concern to members;
- Take forward the collective interest of its member councils and influence senior decision makers within government and agencies;
- Foster communication, information and resource sharing among member councils;
- Build effective partnerships with State and Federal agencies which make decisions that affect our region; and
- Facilitate cooperation with community, business and academic organisations for the benefit of the region.
In fulfilling our objectives, CQROC’s specific functions are to:
- Ensure effective communication among the member councils;
- Ensure regular exchange of information among the councils;
- Provide unified, authoritative advocacy of council priorities and regional issues;
- Develop effective networks and alliances with key stakeholders; and
- Deal with other issues of significance as determined from time to time by the member councils.
CQROC consists of two elected representatives from each of the participating councils. The Chief Executive Officer from each Council also attends the meetings.
Banana Shire Council
Mayor Nev Ferrier and Deputy Mayor Colin Semple.
Livingstone Shire Council
Mayor Andy Ireland and Deputy Mayor Adam Belot.
Gladstone Regional Council
Mayor Matt Burnett and Deputy Mayor Kahn Goodluck.
Rockhampton Regional Council
Mayor Tony Williams and Deputy Mayor Neil Fisher
Central Highlands Regional Council
Mayor Kerry Hayes and Deputy Mayor Christine Rolfe.
Woorabinda Aboriginal Shire Council
Mayor Josh Weazel and Deputy Mayor Laurence Weazel.
Gladstone Area Promotion & Development Limited
Queensland Resources Council
Queensland Government Business & Industry Portal (BIP)
Tourism & Events Queensland
Trade & Investment Queensland
Central Highlands Development Corporation
Reef Guardian Councils